Tips for Effective Online Communication
Online etiquette is often referred to as "netiquette".
Remember: You are communicating with real people, not machines.
- Use the same courtesy as you would extend someone you are having a phone conversation with.
- Don not entice a flame and don?t participate in flamefests. Flaming occurs when you send a message that provokes an angry, and often nasty, response. When others join in, a full-fledged flamefest ensues.
- Use the same rules regarding good grammar, punctuation and word choice as you would for any written communication.
- Don not type your message in all capital letters. the are hard to read. This is known as SHOUTING and may provoke flaming.
- Use the subject line to give recipients an idea of the message?s contents.
- Don not use vulgar language or make sexist comments.